Mon, 02 Nov 2020 08:43:20
Just days before the November 3 presidential election, former Vice President Joe Biden’s campaign has unveiled a new custom map on Fortnite. The “Build Back Better with Biden” map is located in “Reboot City” and aimed at promoting the campaign message that the environment and the economy are connected. The solo player, adventure type map took about 20 to 30 minutes to play and debuted on Friday nights.
“Our digital program is built around how people spend time, and the most effective ways reach them in those places,” Christian Tom, the Biden campaign’s director of digital partnerships, said in a statement. “We see interactive, digital-first experiences like gaming as an opportunity to bring our campaign to a new place and platform.”
The custom Fortnite map is a “substantive, approachable, and fun way to reach and mobilize voters,” Tom added. Signs around the map encourage players to visit makeaplan.com, and players can text “Fortnite” to 30330 to learn how to early-vote in person, drop off a ballot, or vote on Election Day.
The Biden Fortnite map encourages you to vote.
It’s not the Biden campaign’s first foray into the video game realm. Earlier this month, the campaign launched a virtual Biden field office for voters to visit in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, “an entire island on the platform where supporters can further connect with the campaign.” And in September, the campaign introduced Biden-Harris yard signs in ACNH.
In the Fortnite map, after players arrive via train at No Malarkey Station, there are six challenges related to the Biden-Harris agenda for players to complete:
- Help Build a New Research Facility at Champ’s Construction site: “Build a new research facility at the local historically Black college. Build to the top, and stay inside the blueprints.”
- Install 3 Scranton Towers: “Help install these new 5G Broadband towers to ensure every American has broadband access,” with a shoutout to Biden’s birthplace of Scranton, Pennsylvania.
- Restore The Aviator River: “Race to collect industrial waste and restore the river. This challenge highlights Biden’s plan to mobilize the next generation of conservation and resilience workers through a Civilian Climate Corps.”
- Visit Joe’s Famous Ice Cream Shop: “slide down the colors (flavors) to get as much ice cream as you can.”
- Help make Major’s Auto Factory Run Clean: “They modified the line to produce electric cars and are now retrofitting the offices before reopening. Install new high-efficiency AC units and unwrap the solar panels on the roof.”
- Complete Kamala’s Sneaker Run: “Find all 10 of Kamala’s sneakers around the city.” Vice presidential candidate Kamala Harris is known for sporting Converse Chuck Taylor sneakers as part of her standard wardrobe.
Biden’s dogs Champ and Major both have homes in Reboot City, and there are also several Easter eggs on the map, including a boogie bomb, a flashlight, a “chiller grenade,” and a boom box.
The code to access the Biden Build Back Better map is 0215-4511-1823.
Despite developer Epic Games’ ongoing legal battle with Apple, Fortnite has shown it can draw big numbers.
- Apple lost in a legal battle, will pay VirnetX $503 million.
- Apple One is now available, bundling Apple services into a single subscription.
As of May, Epic said the game had 350 million registered players. In April, a Travis Scott concert in Fortnite drew 12.3 million concurrent players, which Epic claimed was “a record” for the battle royale game.
Keywords: biden harris campaign, biden campaign, biden build back better, biden animal crossing