Tue, 03 Nov 2020 07:36:38
After Facebook Messenger, WhatsApp will also introduce disappearing messages. When enabled, messages that you share in conversations will automatically delete after seven days.
The feature appears in the WhatsApp FAQ, revealing how it works and how to enable and disable it on various platforms; WABetainfo saw the article. Expected to roll out to users on multiple platforms soon, so stay tuned for the next WhatsApp update.
What You Need To Know
WhatsApp is largely popular because of its strong end-to-end encryption. Messenger has been steadily improving with new features like the Always Mute option for contacts and groups. “Join, Missed Calls” and Biometric Lock are two more features that may come shortly.
There are certain details you need to know before you start using the disappearing messages feature on WhatsApp. The platform’s FAQ section tells some important details, which are as follows:
- If a user doesn’t open WhatsApp in the seven day period, the message will disappear. However, a preview of the message might still display in notifications until WhatsApp opened.
- If you reply to a message, the initial message continues quoted. If you reply to a disappearing message, the quoted text might remain in the chat after seven days.
- If a disappearing message forwarded to a chat with disappearing messages off, the message won’t disappear in the forwarded chat.
- If a user creates a backup before a message disappears, the disappearing message also will be included in the backup. Disappearing messages automatically deleted when a user restores a backup.
You have to use disappearing messages only with trusted individuals and groups because the recipient can still take screenshots, forward, or copy disappearing messages before they disappear. Also, if you share a photo, video, or document using disappearing messages, it’ll get deleted from the chat window; if the receiver has auto-download turned on, it saved into the receiver device.
In a nutshell, WhatsApp’s disappearing messages are good if you want to avoid clutter. However, it’s not a foolproof solution for sharing secrets over the instant messaging platform.
- How To Recover Deleted WhatsApp Messages? (2 Methods)
- How To Enable Dark Mode on WhatsApp Web? (Without Third Party Applications)
How To Toggle Disappearing Messages on WhatsApp?
The feature hasn’t rolled out yet, but its presence on the FAQ section of the platform means it’ll be out soon. There are tutorials on how to turn on disappearing messages on WhatsApp.
For Android, iOS, and Web/desktop apps, open a WhatsApp chat, tap on contact name > disappearing messages. Tap on ‘Continue‘ if prompted, select on. You can follow the same procedure to turn it off.
If you’re on KaiOS, open a WhatsApp chat, go to Options > View contact > OK. Tap on Disappearing Messages > EDIT. If prompted, click on Next > OK, select On > OK.
Keywords: disappearing whatsapp messages, whatsapp disappearing messages, whatsapp disappearing photo